Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Method 9 Chat and Instant Messaging

I have used the chat function on my Facebook account and find it very easy to use.  However, just because someone is on Facebook at the time doesn't mean that they want to chat.  I think people feel obligated to chat when someone starts the conversation even though they may be engrossed in other pursuits.  Chat is immediate, but now with smart phones, email can be immediate as well.  I can email a friend using my gmail account on my smart phone at no charge but have to buy a texting plan or spend $.25 for each text sent.  Email or chat, if the person isn't there to receive the message it really doesn't matter. The edges are being blurred between email and chat now that the smartphone has become so prevalent.   As for chat for libraries, I don't think that it is essential but can be an additional form of communication.  Many libraries including my own would not consider it as they see it as affecting productivity or a tool to be misused.  Social media is looked on in the same way as the Library is part of other city systems with all employees use the same computer system.  For difficult questions at the reference desk, the patron would still have to wait for an answer thus making chat irrelevant.  They might as well have emailed.  For the shy person, IM would be great but most people phone with their reference questions, others email.  Libraries can't staff 24/7.  I went to the UNC Chapel Hill chat site on Facebook and found that the reference librarian was not available and to leave an email. 

No comments:

Post a Comment