Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Method 8 Social Networking

Social Networking Page Versus a Standard Library Webpage. 
A standard library webpage, such as most libraries have, is more solid than a social networking page which I see as being very fluid.  As more people become "connected" we could gage what we are doing right and perhaps what we are doing wrong in our library.  The site would give our patrons the opportunity to involve themselves in the library with blogs and tweets. Library users are usually very verbal about what they want their library to be and one person's comment could be the starting point of a debate on library policies.  The library could use the networking page to gear the popularity of programs while still in the planning stages thus avoiding programs that have no interest in the community.  It would be a more effective tool in advertising our summer reading program as I could upload video and photos of previous professional events with ease. Comments on the performers would help me with decisions about who to hire next summer.  It also provides an easy way for other friends of friends to see our posts.  The uses are endless on social media. 

Privacy
I do like to separate my personal and professional life, although I have had a Facebook page for awhile mainly to keep track of my friends and relatives who post quite often.   I keep my privacy settings so that only my "friends" can see my posts and have limited my personal information in the profile.  Many of my friends will not post a picture on Facebook because of privacy fears while other relatives have posted pictures of everything in their lives.  I believe any website can be hacked and personal information stolen.  On the whole I would not have a problem being involved with a Facebook Group page but I would not have an individual professional page as well.  I can see why an individual professional page would be important to a younger librarian for their professional development and networking or for a librarian of any age with a special project or ideology that they would like to share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment