Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Beyond Method 4

As many other libraries at this time, we have people coming in who have not used a computer and are being told by employers that they must apply online.  Our library does not have a computer training program so the websites that are available are a big help for us.  I was not aware of the Goodwill site and I feel that even someone who hasn't used a computer before would find it helpful.  The Texas Workforce site, twdl.org is also most helpful.  I hope they keep getting the funding for this site.  Looking at Visual CV, I wonder what company would be interested in receiving resumes with so much information in them when usually they want one page only.  I guess you could pack more information in a youtube video.  This kind of resume would work well for people interested in getting a job in advertising or sales and would help the person who hires in eliminating people based on their youtube presentation,  podcasts, or their charts and graphs.  I like Linkdin, in that it seems more professional than Facebook in networking for a job.  All these websites are going on the reference computer so that we can refer our patrons to them.  I'm sure it will help them learn computer skills, find jobs electronically and apply for those jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment