Monday, August 8, 2011

Beyond Method 12

Fist of all, let me say that I have never taken a more interesting course as this one and the Two-Steppin' course that proceeded it. My eyes are open to Web 2.0 like never before. Everything in Beyond Two Steppin', was a revolation to me and I loved it all, especially Smilebox, Prezi, Goodreads and Google Maps.
I think all this new knowledge will help me make better choices for our patrons. I would like to make them aware of some of the resources covered. Using Prezi would be a fun alternative to Powerpoint for the students. Some of our jobseeker patrons are aware of the Texas Workforce Sites but not the Goodwill site and I'm sure none of them are aware of Visual CV Resumes. We have many patrons who would love Goodreads or Library Thing. This would be useful for a library bookclub for those who cannot get to the library for the meetings. I would like to make our website reflect all this new knowledge, maybe using Netvibes, screencasting or maybe a podcast. We could use Google Maps to show where we are which would improve our visibility and online surveys to improve our programming.
The unexpected take-away was that while watching several youtube videos I discovered many other related videos describing other free websites that our patrons would enjoy. For the young children, Storybird.com provides an easy venue for children to create their own stories. This could lead to a contest at the library for best, or most imaginative story or we could have a contest for young adults using Smilebox.
The web is always changing. I feel that this is an ongoing learning experience and I would definitely take any course on this subject that you would offer. I like the formatting of the course and can offer no improvement for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment